Friday, April 24, 2015

Classic Blunders

Last Sunday I was contentedly completing a homework assignment for the music theory class I'm in, when suddenly I noticed that I'd repeatedly broken one of the fundamental rules of writing suspensions. (Incidentally, the whole point of the exercise was to use suspensions...)
Ordinarily, I'd find such a failure upsetting.
In this instance, I rejoiced.
It provided the perfect excuse for writing three paragraphs full of movie references. :]


The text from above, enlarged for your convenience and viewing enjoyment:

Not the most intellectual of posts, this... but then, which of mine ever has been? ;)
I found it amusing, anyway, and thus deemed it worthy of posting.


Additional Note: I just now noticed that I also neglected to read the directions fully, and thus wrote the exercise for four voices rather than the three called for. :}

3 comments:

Zoë said...

Now for the just-written epilogue to this tale...
In reviewing for a test yesterday morning, I happened to notice a previously overlooked caveat to the rule regarding doubling within a suspension. I'd seen the latter portion of the line, reading "the note of resolution should not be present anywhere in the texture when a suspension occurs," but neglected to note the beginning of that sentence, which said "with the exception of the 9-8 suspension".
The latter two suspensions in my partwriting - the ones I thought justified both the title and the writing of a bunch of text - it turns out that these suspensions are perfectly acceptable after all.

In other words, my homework was done correctly (albeit I apparently had NO idea what I was doing all throughout the process) and my writing was for naught (excepting my own amusement - well, "THAT is a noble cause!...").

This whole experience has been a veritable comedy of errors - or, I might say, of classic blunders. :]

The Quinn Family said...

Hee, hee, hee!!!
I love this!
Comments about errors and errors in comments...
Too much thinking, I think.
Love, Mom

Zoë said...

What, do you mean to say I failed in the epilogue too?! AARGH!!!

Too much thinking... or was it just overthought? Making mountains of molehills is my specialty, second only to caustic criticism. ;]