Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Carols ~ the Naughty & the Nice

Well, my friends, it's that time of year again! Beginning the week before Thanksgiving, two radio stations have been signalling out festive tunes of Christmas cheer... non-stop... around the clock... to the everlasting dismay of Grinches everywhere. :]

Though I frequently display Grinch-like attitudes (and not only with regards to Christmas), I have a deep fondness for the music of December. Several of my favorites are the beautiful melodic arrangements accompanied by words poignantly retelling the glorious truths of Christ's birth. I greatly enjoy instrumental renditions of holiday tunes, and particularly love the epic reworkings of classic carols as performed by Mannheim Steamroller and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

However, there are several songs of the season that irritate me to no end. We'll leave it at that for the moment. :]

Being the impractical planner and delusional daydreamer that I am, I intend to do a multi-part series featuring some of my most well-beloved and most thoroughly detested Christmas songs, along with accounts of how they came to be placed in either of those categories. Taking prior experience into account, you can reasonably expect to read all of two posts in said series within this year. Hope you enjoy them! - whenever they finally show up!... does this even count as a blog post? :/ Ah well... stay tuned, a real post will be published in the morning!

No comments: